• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800X High 'Idle' Temps/Constant 100% Usage in Task Manager

Associate
I'm having an issue where my 5800X just seems to be constantly around 60 Degrees C in Windows, however when just in BIOS it sits at circa 30. I don't think it's a cooler issue as this behaviour has manifested across 2 coolers and I have changed the paste as well which I'm sure is getting a good seal.

It feels like something is constantly pushing load on the CPU, when I look at Task Manager it's 100% usage all the time, if I close an application, it just attributes more CPU to another. For example if I closed everything other than HWiNFO64 it will just giving 60% of the CPU to it, which it no way needs. Looking at the frequencies too, I'm constantly above 4.7 GHz and the minimum is 4.69.

Is this a case of my CPU just not downclocking? I've download the latest chipset drivers ( 2.09.28.509 ) and tried setting my power plan to 'balanced' in Windows. People have talked about getting a Ryzen power plan choice but I don't see it?

Apologies if I'm being stupid, I haven't got my head around PBO yet, if these temps are fine I can live with it, and will just set my fan curves accordingly.

Associate
OP
the ryzen power plans appear once you install the chipset drivers, those are old chipset drivers ones from amd site are 2.13.27.501

That should teach me to trust Gigabytes website. Installed the latest drivers but still don't get any Ryzen option and still the same behaviour (constant boosting). If I turn PBO off, my 'idle' temp goes south of 40 so at least I know it's not the cooling set up!

Associate
OP
I have installed the latest chipset drivers, and it appears that Zen 3's don't get power plans included from doing some reading. There's certainly something not letting the cores enter C1 or C6.

Windows power plans seem to have 0 effect.

Man of Honour
What other software do you have installed?

Even if the CPU can't downclock, task manager doesn't show 100% utilisation.

Associate
the ryzen power plans appear once you install the chipset drivers, those are old chipset drivers ones from amd site are 2.13.27.501

Aha, I used MSI's website for my chipset drivers so will check out the latest version. Good tip.

As for the OP's issue I'm not sure, although I can say only Ryzen Master seems to correctly report idle clocks, HWInfo64, Afterburner and MSI's own software show idle clock as 3600MHz but RM says 700MHz and below. Idle temps are around 30°c with a 360mm CLC but they do jump around listed, way more than with my last CPU (8700K).

Have you tried running in safe mode perhaps? Limiting the number of non essential processes running?

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you got a screenshot of your windows task manager?

what version of windows are you running and what build is it? Could be a windows scheduler issue which means you need to update windows.

have you got torrent running at the background or something.

In terms of windows reporting clock speed. It won’t report the dynamic clock speed. Ryzen master and the latest Hwinfo64 will show the live clock speed and individual core C states. CPUZ won’t even pick up those information.

Soldato
Boot into safe mode, does the issue still occur? Try safe mode with networking disabled, same issue?

if you still get the issue in safe mode, run virus scans and clean whatever malware is found. If that doesn't help, I'd reinstall Windows

Associate
OP
I thought I'd update on this, and I feel a little stupid, well perhaps.

After much frustration of testing mobo settings, closing apps/processes, uninstalling programs etc etc. I on a whim hit "restore defaults" on the balanced power plan. Bang straight in, voltage/clock drops and then boosts when load is applied. I only feel half stupid as I'd never messed with the plan settings before.

Thank you all for your help/suggestions.

Soldato
i was thinking whether it could've been due to the powe rplans.. i thought AMD did away with the power profiles no?

They did, after updating my system when the 5950x went in, the AMD power plans disappeared - windows only has two options, a Default balanced and a Optional High Power. I guess OP's has being using the High Power

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom