• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Temperatures

Associate
I've just cleaned off some excess thermal compound which I should have done when replacing the stock cooler with the Artic Pro 7 Rev 2. My idle temperatures are now about 33-36ºC at this time and my room is quite warm due to the nice weather we are having.

I played some games a short while ago on max settings and the CPU went up to 66ºC at its highest, I was only playing for about 2 hours so perhaps it could have gone higher...?

What is a safe temperature for this CPU? I've heard anything above 62ºC and I should start to get concerned. Is that right?

I've ordered some new paste and compound remover from here which should arrive Saturday just so I can be sure i've done as much as I can.

My case has two 120mm fans on the side blowing air in, one 120mm on the back sucking air out and a turbine fan on the front sucking air in. The air coming out at the back feels quite cool. Case shown below.

neal-albums-neal-picture282-a13fx.jpg

Soldato
62 is indeed your safe top limit. Most overclockers probably panic about 55 :>

Do you overclock? If not, a lot of Phenoms ship with a higher default voltage than they actually need - indeed, mine runs over stock speeds on under stock volts! There's a good guide on shaving some degrees off by bringing the volts down over here: http://aspiregemstone.blogspot.com/2009/06/k10stat-amd-griffin-processor.html (I use the mentioned K10Stat utility mentioned myself, have done for a year, tis very good :) )

Associate
OP
Hi and thanks. No don't overclock and I just can't understand why it gets so high. A friend has the same spec as me (CPU cooler, chip, case) and his goes no where near this temp. Just not sure why its getting so hot so will see when new paste arrives.

Soldato
Hi and thanks. No don't overclock and I just can't understand why it gets so high. A friend has the same spec as me (CPU cooler, chip, case) and his goes no where near this temp. Just not sure why its getting so hot so will see when new paste arrives.

dont worry, i have the same cooler and it gets to 65C under prime and furmark. i would get a new cooler, because you dont want it to be at that temp for too long, but as a temporary cooler it should be fine

Associate
OP
Thanks for the help everyone. I've actually reduced my voltages since the last post I made and cleaned off the CPU and Heat sink thermal paste and added the new stuff. The voltage was going up to 1.44v but I've set it to maximum of 1.35v or 1.34v, can't remember exact.

At idle it's 28 - 33ºC depending on the room temp and around 50 - 54ºC running some high end games on full graphics.

As long as it's not getting to the top end temps, I'm happy.

Thanks again.

Associate
hi this is unbelieveble but my 955be went on 86c for a wile !!!!!using stok hs and thermaltake case 3 fans,running v 1.4,its possible or fake temp reading?
i did not overcloked but i tryed to touch the hs and was very hot to the point that i burn my self!and best of all still stable and working but the fans are screamming very loud!!!

Soldato
put your hand on the heatsink, if its really hot to touch then yea its likely to be reaching 84c. if its just warm then its likely to be a false reading. maybe check the heatsink or get it replaced with something else.

Permabanned
My 965 runs stock volt and speed at 64 under maximum load with a CM V6GT cooler, though my tower is crammed into a place with poor airflow.

Really not bothered about the OMG62ISMAXLIMITTHENYOUDIELOL that people go on about, chip runs within manufacturer defined specifications for speed and temperature and a couple of degrees over during a heavy session certainly won't kill it. If it does, I shall point them to the stock cooler which was atrocious.

I'd say you're fine, don't worry about it too much.

Soldato
hi this is unbelieveble but my 955be went on 86c for a wile !!!!!using stok hs and thermaltake case 3 fans,running v 1.4,its possible or fake temp reading?
i did not overcloked but i tryed to touch the hs and was very hot to the point that i burn my self!and best of all still stable and working but the fans are screamming very loud!!!

If you've not overclocked then you can try reduce the voltages, AMD tends to have a higher voltage for stability reasons but these chips can run on stock speeds on 1.35v. Maybe lower if you're lucky :).

Associate
yes it was hot and i also cheked the hs was full of dust .now cleaned and no more higt temp and manage to undervoltage to 1.2 very stable now idle 38c-41c underload 49c-54.lol;)

Associate
im running 955 BE @ 3.2ghz everything stock with a h50 getting 29c Idle 44c load after running prime for about 30 mins. Im guessing i can get even lower temps if i bring the volts down?

temps.png

Soldato
Dunno how people get so high temps, something is definitely wrong there, even the stock cooler shouldnt get it anywhere 55c, I'd say stock runs at around 50c full load, good high end cooler does around 40-45c load on stock speeds and 50c for overclocked to 3.6-3.8ghz.

Associate
Dunno how people get so high temps, something is definitely wrong there, even the stock cooler shouldnt get it anywhere 55c, I'd say stock runs at around 50c full load, good high end cooler does around 40-45c load on stock speeds and 50c for overclocked to 3.6-3.8ghz.

with stock cooler I got 37c idle 66c load :o

Associate

i think i need a new case maybe the airflow and a better cable management will improve a bit any advise for a good case?
:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom