AMD Phenom II x6 Idle temp to high

Associate
I just got a new system . Amd Phenom II x6 1090t black edition with a MSI M3A770DE Mobo and a HD 5770 Graphics card. My CPU idle temp is at 52c which from what I can find online is just ridiculous. I have an Artic Cooling Freezer 7 pro rev2 heatsink and fan. i currently have it installed so the fan blows up to another 120mm fan which is blowing air out of the case. I also have a 120mm fan at the front blowing air into the case. I am guessing I have installed the heatsink wrong but want some advice before I go messing about with it. Any help would be great . Also i used some Akasa thermal compound and not the stuff that comes on it.

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong section as I am new to the forums.

Soldato
I assume it is stock 3.2ghz with cool and quiet still activated. Even so idle temps that high are ridiculous, where are you getting the temperature reading from? First thought is the reading is wrong or is displaying max temp etc. The set up you have sounds fine with the fans in the direction they are. Is the fan on the heat sink definitely pointing up to the fan in the top? If not could be causing air flow problems with not enough air over the heat sink. Last I can think of would be it is seated wrong somehow so needs re-seating.

Associate
OP
I am getting readings from Asrock OC TUNER. CPUID, and from bios. and it is stock 3.2ghz and no i deactivated cool and quiet as this is one of the only things i know about. I am pretty sure it must be seated wrong from what i have read i just wanted to make sure before i take everything apart and re do it. Any tips on how much thermal compound to use as this is the first time i have used anything but a stock heatsink.

Thank you for the reply.

Soldato
Why deactivate cool and quiet?

Is your fan running at normal speeds, check HWmonitor.

It may not be fixed properly as I had the freezer 64 version fitted before my TRUE and it idled at about 30C, maxing at 50C under prime at stock.

Ideally it should be fitted front to back of the case, with an intake and exhaust fan for airflow in the case. It could just be pulling hot air from the gfx card going bottom to top.

Associate
OP
I though i read somewhere if awhile back if i deactivated cool n quiet my fan would run faster.
The fan is running at 1985 rpm is that's normal I do not know.

Also the reason the fan on the heatsink is pointed up is because of the motherboard. fans has to point up and blow through vent or down onto graphics card and i though up would be best.

Do you think it would be worth taking the 120mm fan i have on top and putting it in the back.

Also i have just touched the heatsink and its been running about 30min with the side door of case off idling at 45c and it does not feel hot at all if this helps.

As always thank you .

Soldato
I though i read somewhere if awhile back if i deactivated cool n quiet my fan would run faster.
The fan is running at 1985 rpm is that's normal I do not know.

Also the reason the fan on the heatsink is pointed up is because of the motherboard. fans has to point up and blow through vent or down onto graphics card and i though up would be best.

Do you think it would be worth taking the 120mm fan i have on top and putting it in the back.

Also i have just touched the heatsink and its been running about 30min with the side door of case off idling at 45c and it does not feel hot at all if this helps.

As always thank you .

1985rpm seems normal, I believe fan runs up to 2000rpm.

Cool and quiet ramps down the CPU when not required to run at full load. Runs cooler, not all cores are required all the time. Try enabling it.

Try reducing vcore in bios my 1055T runs at 3.5GHz with a 1.325V vcore.

Yes the freezer 7 on AMD boards is at 90 degrees rotation. You are probably restricted to how you have it and yours is the best direction.

cheers, andy.

Associate
OP
Ok I seem to have got it down to about 40c on idle with moving the fan to the back instead of the top. This is still a bit high though I be especially if If i want to over clock? Also, if i was to put a fan on the door I should have it blowing in the case I would assume?

Again thanks for all the help and sorry I am such a Noob just don't want my new system to get any problems as I do play Crysis and Call of Duty and all that.

Soldato
Yes, the one on the side panel should be an intake fan.

Apart from some overclocking stability I don't really know any other reason to disable cool and quiet. Though I did have to disable turbo core to play a couple of games and it caused a stutter when it activated/deactivated.

I would take the reseating as the last resort as everything else is easier to check and fix. From what you have said, your fan set up seems fine and would expect the fan at that speed to easily cool your cpu. Really starting to think it does need re-seating if nothing else has cured it.

As for the TIM application, people do it differently but I have always prefered the small blob (about the size of grain of rice) in the middle of the cpu and then put the cooler on top and screwed it down.

Associate
Got it fixed said screw it and bought another one and left the paste on running around 35c now.

Thank you guys for all the help much appreciated.

mines running 2'C above room temp on stock, what do you mean "left paste on and bought another"

i hope its not what i think you mean ( left old paste on and put another cooler on it)

just put a small blob in centre small pea size and just press on.

Associate
OP
no i mean i left the paste on the new cooler that was there when i bought it. still need to get it a bit cooler though maybe ill try some other paste on it . sounds like i put to much on the first time.

Associate
OP
ok i just ran prime 95 for a whole 30 seconds and then got scared. according to CPUID HW monitor my CPUTIN was 35.5c when i started and after not even 30 seconds it was 54.5 c my room temp is about 25c so from what i hear i should be idling at no more than 30c i believe. I have just installed an artic cooler freezer 7 pro rev 2 about 2 hours ago and used the stock TIM that was on it. I have some Akasa 455 on hand if that might be better? I have no clue just would like to get my temp down a bit as i would like to over clock it a bit in the near future,.

Associate
i would be getting about 33-34 on mine with stock cooler and those temps. any chance of a photo of the case with side panel off?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
photo.php

The 35.5 is before Prime 95 and the 54.5 is about 30 seconds into it =/

Inside the case
photo.php

I can tell i need to get some better air flow between the Graphics card and the Heat sink as that is the hottest place in the case. Also, the gold heat sink right above my graphics card is very hot . hope this helps you help me :p Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom