autoglass, directline and headaches

Soldato
I don't even want to join this race to the bottom to save a few quid on car insurance. I'd happily pay more for insurance but receive OEM glass if I needed it. But virtually nobody seems to offer that.

Sure they would. It'd be a proper claim rather than a windscreen claim costing them <£200.

When faced with a fault claim, loss in NCB and payment of a proper excess I suspect you'd quickly change your mind, which is why it's never offered.

Associate
Surely you can get manufacturer and specification by using the Type Approval number that will be in the corner of the screen you will get fitted? (it might not be free though; I'm sure there's 'libraries' out there)

Windscreens are part of type approval; I've dealt with OEM windscreens approval and different layers/material might result in additional tests; so imagine the same is true with non-OEM screens.

Admittedly the tests are affected by heat transfer (de-frost/de-mist) so anything other than that might not be up to scratch, hence why people seem to have issues with heating elements/sensors etc.

I was apprehensive about a non-OEM screen being fitted to my Z4, but the wiper sensor was part of the rear view mirror assembly, and the screen just had a little clip for it to clip on and then just a hole where the tint was missing for the sensor to look out of.

I can imagine that if you have electronics in the windscreen it might cause issues going for non-OEM, as it's not something they have to test for.

Associate
I've had a 5mm crack in the bottom left hand corner of my Octavia's windscreen for over 3yrs now. I noticed it the day after driving it back up to Newcastle form the main dealers I bought it from in Milton Keynes. Because it's got lane assist, as well as the usual auto wipers, Ive been reluctant to get it changed due to loads of reports of issues with poor glass and calibrating the camera. I'm sure the crack will eventually increase in size and it'll need to be replaced, but until then I'm more than happy to live with it and have everything working as it should.

Soldato
I had this sort of fight a good few years back for my e46 M3 and getting a Climate comfort windscreen direct from BMW I had to prove it was fitted to the car at manufacturer but then they relented. Think it cost them a good whack more than basic oem glass. With cars getting more and more sensors and cameras that rely on certain glass surely this is going to be coming up more and more.

Associate
For what it's worth, I note the thread is a year old but Esure approved OEM for me, same windscreen excess cost. The issue is Autoglass then turning up, with a non OEM windscreen as I've just found out. So check in the first instance before they start the job that the OEM you expect is actually on the van!

Associate
I had this sort of fight a good few years back for my e46 M3 and getting a Climate comfort windscreen direct from BMW I had to prove it was fitted to the car at manufacturer but then they relented. Think it cost them a good whack more than basic oem glass. With cars getting more and more sensors and cameras that rely on certain glass surely this is going to be coming up more and more.

This post is interesting reading, I have a chip (its been there for ages and whilst noted, does not impact the MOT) and have been debating getting it changed using Direct Line, sounds like its better to leave it as is.

Soldato
IF it's in a repairable area I would go with that but if you do decide to get the window replaced just do the fighting with the insurance before even booking autoglass. then prepare for proper incompetence from them. Guy broke plastic trim on mine and brought the wrong window the first time.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

i bet if you have the dealer fit it they will sub the fitting out to a window company. we did loads of dealer fits. had it on my own car once p407 pan roof cracked only dealer supply over a 1000pounds at the time insurance speciried dealer , low and behold i got a call 2 days later asking for me to fit a pan roof at dealer ...my car lol .
Did anything come of this?

Charging you £1000 and then subbing it out to someone (you) is a cruel twist of fate. Did you tell them it was your car? :D

Man of Honour
You want cheaper and cheaper insurance the costs have to be cut somewhere. My policy states I can use OEM screens as standard and my preferred repairer too as that was something I’m likely to need.

Associate
Did anything come of this?

Charging you £1000 and then subbing it out to someone (you) is a cruel twist of fate. Did you tell them it was your car? :D

i think you may have got the wrong end here..... too have the pan roof changed , the insurance would pay but had to submit it to the main dealer for them to supply and fit the roof. i was covered by the insurance but it had to be submitted as a full claim , not a windscreen claim. hence i paid the full excess which at the time was a 100 pounds. as i was on protected bonus being old and wrinkled it didnt effect my n/claims.
the fact that the main dealer then contracted my company in to fit the glass was the bonus :) yes they were well aware of the vehicle being mine as they dropped off a new astra cdti to my works unit when they picked it up:)) at least i knew if there were any leaks it was my fault.

i charged the dealer way more than my excess to fit the glass on the roof so actually it probably made me money .

Back
Top Bottom