CPU and motherboard upgrade without reinstalling windows?

Soldato
I upgraded from a B450 motherboard to B550 and 2600X to 3600 with no issues what so ever without reinstalling Windows

Not exactly the same upgrade path but thought it worth mentioning

Associate
I replaced my mobo with a B450 last week and it didn't affect my windows installation. However it did say " Windows is not activated " so I re entered my product key and all good

Associate
No - make has no bearing on it, only what chipset / audio / lan etc the motherboard has. Windows 10 is however very good these days at moving between hardware, even going from Intel->AMD or vice versa is largely problem free.

That is good to know as I've always done a fresh install just to be sure. Hoping to upgrade to a new mobo, ram & cpu soon so might not need to do a reinstall that I just did 2 weeks ago.

Soldato
Had my 5800X running on a B450 tomahawk max for over a month now with no issues so maybe worth checking out which board you have and if there is a 5000 series bios update available.

Soldato
I went from Intel 8700k to AMD 5800x and didnt reinstall windows. In fact I hardly ever do probably done it once in last 15 years thats because I`m a tidy person.

Just made sure I uninstalled the Intel drivers etc then installed latest AMD drivers.

Soldato
It's a Asus prime b450m -a.

Whole rig was originally a pre built until i Started tweaking.

I've been on the website and there is a bios that added a CPU support(2409) but I'm not sure what.
Both the 2409 and the 2602 beta will support ryzen 5000, I'd be tempted to go with the latest beta though as it has the latest agesa 1.1.9.0 which brings a lot of improvements in performance and stability.

Soldato
OP
Oh great stuff so only the CPU needed.

Only thing is my current board hasn't been supplied with the plastic clips to attach the heatsink. (They are not needed with the 3600 heatsink.

Can anyone suggest a alternative cooler which won't need those clips or should I just order some of those to?

Don
Oh great stuff so only the CPU needed.

Only thing is my current board hasn't been supplied with the plastic clips to attach the heatsink. (They are not needed with the 3600 heatsink.

Can anyone suggest a alternative cooler which won't need those clips or should I just order some of those to?

Does it still have the backplate that the plastic clips screw into?

If so and you have clearance (157mm), then something like the Freezer 34 is a good option

https://support.arctic.ac/index.php?p=freezer34esports&lang=en

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £32.73 (includes shipping: £2.74)​

Associate
I Swapped a B450 to a B550 and no reinstall needed, fired it up and it installed the drivers it wanted and happy days.

Pleasantly surprised actually, I was ready for a reinstall or at least a few BSODs - Windows has sure come a long way from when it distributed on floppy discs...

Associate
Same here, just went from an Intel 4770k to AMD 3700x on an x570 MSI tomahawk and had no issues. It booted up first time. It all worked games ran etc. Only thing was that for some reason I think because I upgraded from Windows 8 on my previous system I couldn't change things like my background picture as it said I didn't have a registered version of Windows activated. All needed to do was get a a key for a few quid and all was perfect.

Back
Top Bottom