• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

delidding service

Associate
does ocuk offer a delidding service, specifically for the 7700k, i have no interest in oc but i would like the coolest temps and quietest settings i can get. so im not interested in special binned chips rather a replacement of intels mediocre tim and hopefully a cooler chip.

as im not oc'ing is the above a waste of time, ie in standard use does the 7700k stay within normal temp specs, its just overclocking that cause the heat spikes? or is it a worthwhile mod if a quiet pc is a requirement.

thankyou for any and all help

Associate
If you are not overclocking you should be able to undervolt your cpu a bit to get lower temperatures.

Associate
OP
thankyou :) does the delidding affect the warranty length at all, is the intel warranty 3yrs? but the link mentions 12mths....

Last edited:
Caporegime
If you delid yourself the warranty will be void. OEM processors only have 1 year warranty, 3 years is for retail. If you're going to delid you'd might as well buy OEM.

Soldato
Technically we might suspect that the faster binned CPUs will need least volts for stock speeds... but you'll probably get many times more more thermal difference out of the delid than from the difference between a 4.9 and 5.2 binned chip :)

Caporegime
and the delid service is for oem only, not retail, or is delidding retail not possible and still retain any warranty

They only offer OEM/pre-binned delidded afaik, perhaps try posting in customer services and ask if they'd be willing to delid a retail processor for you but the warranty would be void.

Soldato
as a non overclocker, is it a worthwhile effort?

Probably not. My 4770k runs stock speeds, and I use a fairly basic Corsair H60 AIO (120mm). And that set-up gives mins in the high teens temperature wise. Idles in the twenties usually, and maxes out at around 50 under full load on a Handbrake encode pushing all cores / threads to 100%, often for a couple hours at a time. That's WELL under the max temps for a processor, and with a fairly average cooling product. I do use the Gelid Extreme thermal paste too though, for however much difference that makes.

My advice would be to just spend the £50 it costs for the delid tool on a reasonable cooler, and you'll be just as well off really. I mean, it's designed to work with the stock retail cooler anyway, so any upgrade will be helpful.

Associate
OP
Probably not. My 4770k runs stock speeds, and I use a fairly basic Corsair H60 AIO (120mm). And that set-up gives mins in the high teens temperature wise. Idles in the twenties usually, and maxes out at around 50 under full load on a Handbrake encode pushing all cores / threads to 100%, often for a couple hours at a time. That's WELL under the max temps for a processor, and with a fairly average cooling product. I do use the Gelid Extreme thermal paste too though, for however much difference that makes.

My advice would be to just spend the £50 it costs for the delid tool on a reasonable cooler, and you'll be just as well off really. I mean, it's designed to work with the stock retail cooler anyway, so any upgrade will be helpful.
i understand, i think im reading too much into the 7700k's temps that dont apply to my usage. thankyou for ur advice.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Overclocking is free performance. You'd be mad not to these days.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

doesnt this come at the cost of extra heat and noise though?
Heat, yes
Noise, depends on your cooling

A monster passive cooler won't be any louder (obv) but you could see 20-30C extra temp from a big overclock. Whereas a decent all-in-one cooler would handle any extra heat without any real change in volume.

I'd look at it this way; try it, if you don't like what you see then turn it off. Nothing to lose but potentially a lot to gain.

I used to run a 3930k at stock then delved in to serious overclocking when I went full water cooling and gained 50% extra speed (4.8GHz) by changing a few numbers.

Back
Top Bottom