Group Policy - My Docs Redirection

Associate
Hi All,

Having to set up a policy to redirect users' My Docs to a network location but having a few problems with it - wonder if anyone has come across this problem before:

Users Policy (Linked to OU containing test user)

Folder Redirectionhide
Documentshide
Setting: Advanced (Specify locations for various user groups)hide
Group Path
Domain\DomainGroup\\ServerFQDN\UserData\%USERNAME%\My Documents

Optionshide
Grant user exclusive rights to Documents Disabled
Move the contents of Documents to the new location Disabled
Also apply redirection policy to Windows 2000, Windows 2000 server, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 operating systems Enabled
Policy Removal Behavior Leave contents
Configuration Control Group Policy
Primary Computer Evaluation Not evaluated because primary computer policy is not enabled

As it stands, it is failing. If I check the event log I am getting an error in the Application Log:

"folder redirection policy has been delayed until the next logon because the group policy logon optimization is in effect" (Event ID 510)

Now there seems to be a lot on google on this, none of which seems to have helped me. I have tried applying the following group policy setting to the computer account (and the users account at times)

Computer Config > Policies > Admin Templates > System > Logon > Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon

The above change, despite being referenced to multiple times on google has failed to have any effect.

I have checked the user can map to the network location when logged on, and checked that the account can write to that location, however this has all been to no avail.

Has someone come across this problem before?

Associate
a few things to chekc

1 do a gpupdate /force on the deskotp and restart it at least twice
2 is it creating the %USERNAME% folder as the users name correclty
3 if so who is the owner of the folder as it musnt be the administrator.

thats for starters!

Associate
OP
Hi Guys,

No matter how many times gpupdate /force and a reboot is applied it still gets the same error in the event logs.

As it stands, its not creating the username folder in the root directory. The user group only has read permissions over the root directory - is that the problem here?

Thanks

Sam

Associate
OP
I've set the redirect to another share now which "everyone" has full control, just to check whether this resolved the issue. The error message in the app log still appears after a gpupdate /force however not if a simple relog is done. However the user folder isn't created in the root even with full permissions for 'Everyone'. Am I missing something glaringly obvious, am I rather tired today!

Last edited:
Permabanned
You need to do make sure the redirection is under the user configuration not computer.

The permissions on the my documents folders have to be correct.

I find it best to go to advanced on the my documents redirect

one for domain users to the \\server\userdata$\%username%\documents
one for domain admins redirect to local user profile

Prevents domain admins from having network documents.

Permissions for the top level folder userdata$ share:

domain users: this folder only
transverse folder
list folder
create files
create folders
write attributes
write extended attributes

system: this folder and subfolders and files
full

creator owner: subfolder and files only
full

gpupdate won't work for folder redirections it requires a reboot generally.

Last edited:
Soldato
The user group only has read permissions over the root directory - is that the problem here?

What permissions do they have for \\server\userdata$\%username% ?

You should be creating the home drive when the user account is created, and the users need Change access to it.

Associate
OP
Guys, thanks very much for all your help, it turned out to be the slowlink detection not being configured. I've enabled it and it works fine now.

Back
Top Bottom