How To Clean Thermal Compound

Associate
so simplify this, I got a new AIO cooler and I need to clean off my old compound from my CPU, I don't have any rubbing alcohol or anything like this. The nail polish remover I have is acetone free, can I use this. I know it's not ideal but would it do the job?

I would prefer to get it done today but if it comes to it ill have to go out tomorrow to get it.

Soldato
I suggest you use some kitchen roll cut into about 2" squares so you can wipe a put in bin before it has a chance to get onto anything else. Oh, and has a bin close so there is not chance of TIM soiled squares touching anything else. Once you have wiped off TIM if there is any still remaining I use pure alcohol (Isopropyl alcohol), but rubbing alcohol works too .. or even a very little fingernail polish remover but be careful with polish remover as can damage plastics. You could just wipe clean without using any alcohol or cleaner, but a wipe with square dampened with alcohol or other cleaner removes any oils that might be on surface.

Soldato
Baby wipes are my go to item for removing thermal paste.
Blimey, don't those have some kind of oils in?

I use lighter fluid in most cases, and isopropyl alcohol if it's handy. Nail polish remover if acetone free or methylated spirits are both options, but will damage plastics so be careful. Wrap a finger in kitchen roll and just rub the IHS, alternatively clean it outside the PC. Anything with acetone is far too aggressive and i wouldn't let it near a PC at all.

Soldato
I think nail polish remover is recommend because it has acetone (alcohol) in it which will evaporate and leave nothing behind whereas the acetone free one has conditioners etc in it which will leave a residue. I'd also be wary of baby wipes as they may also contain additives that would leave a residue (lotions etc).

Soldato
I think nail polish remover is recommend because it has acetone (alcohol) in it which will evaporate and leave nothing behind
Acetone indeed won't leave anything behind, if enough is used in cleaning:
It dissolves many plastics types.
Hence nail polish remover is very unrecommendable for cleaning inside PC or most stuff not made completely from metal.

And it isn't alcohol.
Unlike say methanol, or IPA which is the stuff commonly used in industrial/professional uses, because it doesn't try to destroy nowadays so common plasticky things.

Back
Top Bottom