i7 930 temperatures

Associate
I'm using my old i7 930 as a storage and download system. I also use it to video/photo edit. It's overclocked to 4ghz and temps are fine at max load according to real temp, Aida, OCCT and CAM. Now every so often, I have a cpu fan that cranks up to 100%. temps are all fine .. then i had an error message in CAM that my cpu temp was at 85 degrees ??? All temps are fine according to all other software and bios temps. I cleaned off the thermal paste from the H50 cpu pump and replaced it. Now temps are all about 3 degrees lower across the board and at 73 degrees max on cpu. Anybody know any further tests I can do to see if it's a weird reading or what ..

Associate
OP
but that's just it .. nowhere does it come close to 85 degrees ... I want to find out what is reporting the high temp .. it's not showing up in any sensors .. I forget what guide I used to get it to the 4ghz .. I'll have a look and see what volts I can adjust .. but the high temp reporting has me stumped

Permabanned
monitor with HWmonitor or core temp.
run stress test see if cam gives the same info as them two, if may be cam's wrong.

i used cam with my grid+ v2 it was good but not perfect, it may be reading wrong probe of just reporting wring info

Associate
OP
Have run HW monitor both before and after fresh thermal paste. There are no indications anywhere that temps get that high. In Aida 64 the motherboard temp is 37. The Northbridge is 63 (never changes even under full load), CPU 42 and each core is between 47 and 52. This is at 4ghz. I have stress tested for 24 hours without issue. I will scope out my overclock guide to see what I used and then try a lower voltage.

Soldato
No idea where 85c temp was registered, but the warning could have been an momentary spike .. and 85c is not really a dangerous temperature for your CPU .. although mine never goes about 70c, maybe 75c on suppler hot day encoding with dirty intake filters. Good to hear i'm not the only one still running these old Bloomfield and Gulftown systems.

Associate
OP
well to be honest i don't see anything wrong with the i7 930. My main system is the i7 6700 which I use for gaming .. the little 930 is the grunt machine for video/photo editing and it's on 24/7 .. spruced it up a bit with some more ram, win10 and used my old gtx 980ti for it .. but it's ticking along nicely .. just wanted to get to the bottom of the temp thing ..

Soldato
Agreed.
The only down sides to Broomfield and Gulftown are they use more power, their motherboard are now getting so old many new features / connections are missing .. like USB3, Bluetooth, good Sata3, etc. and it's harder to find drivers for new components. I have 3 of them running and all doing their job very nicely. I did some encoding comparison testing between 920 @ 4.2GHx, Stock 980x and stock 6700k .. all took basically same amount of time to do their jobs.

Associate
OP
agreed .. I had to work a way to use USB3 with my mobo .. ended up using a lindy USB3 hub to connect to external HDD's as my case was only USB2 at front .. but yeah, still ticking over :)

Back
Top Bottom