Increased Fan Speed Leading to Increased CPU Temp

Associate
Hi all, I've previously posted about having high idle temps with my new (and first time) build.

My CPU temps up anywhere between 40°c - 55°c with spikes up to anything like 65°c at idle and light use (i.e. running spotify).

However, I've played around some more with my fans today and realised that something really weird is happening.

At "Balanced" my CPU fan is operating at c. 47% and my CPU temp is between 38-47°c.

At "silent" muy CPU fan is at 20% power and my cpu temp drops instantly to a steady 28-30°c. The fans are still relatively loud too, which is a little odd.

I've triple checked fan placement, and they're all facing the correct way to air is being drawn in from the front of my case through the radiator (of the Kraken X63) and then out through the rear and rear top fan cases (the fans that come with the case).

Does anyone have any idea what's going on please?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 AOI water cooler - fans are set up in the front of the case pulling air in
Case: NZXT H510 (with the 2 factory fit case fans - set up at rear and rear top of case pushing air out
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 570 ARMOR 8GB Graphics Card
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI Motherboard
RAM: Corsair Vengance 16GB x 2

Hope you can help, as I'm really confused.

Cj

Associate
OP
I've monitored through NZXT CAM, MSI Dragon Centre and HW Monitor - all showing the same CPU temp of 30°c with fans running at 20% and increased temps with higher fan speed.

Fan speed being REDUCED using silent mode is leading to a REDUCTION in temps of around 17°, which is what is even weirder.

Could the temp gauge on my MOBO be wrong/broken?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've monitored through NZXT CAM, MSI Dragon Centre and HW Monitor - all showing the same CPU temp of 30°c with fans running at 20% and increased temps with higher fan speed.

Fan speed being REDUCED using silent mode is leading to a REDUCTION in temps of around 17°, which is what is even weirder.

Sorry, if i came across a bit blunt in my first reply.

1 ) I would download HwInfo64 and use that solely for the moment for cpu temp ( to rule out mobo issues with reporting and false reporting from different software ), i know its yet another piece of softweare, but it is very good and reads direct from the cpu.

2 ) Silent mode and Balanced mode can also effect pump speed on AIOs if applied Auto, make sure you are only adjusting the fans, you mentioned that your fans were still loud on silent so it sounds like something isn't working as planned.

3 ) Get a reliable baseline, run a full load test, idle tells you very little as it fluctuates, something like Cinebench20 or Prime95 to stress the cpu.

4 ) For the first test, run with fans not spinning, a 280mm rad will passively cool with no probs so you'll do no harm for a brief test run - This will be your worst case baseline temp.

5 ) Then try varying fan speeds.

As i said earlier, there is no way changing fan speeds from 50% to 20% will drop 17 degrees, there is a reporting issue error somewhere.

Try above and post back, happy to assist further

Last edited:
Soldato

Fan speed being reduced in slient mode and having a cooler cpu temperature is because the cpu has gone into a very low power state, so is running much cooler.

Caporegime
Hi all, I've previously posted about having high idle temps with my new (and first time) build.

My CPU temps up anywhere between 40°c - 55°c with spikes up to anything like 65°c at idle and light use (i.e. running spotify).

However, I've played around some more with my fans today and realised that something really weird is happening.

At "Balanced" my CPU fan is operating at c. 47% and my CPU temp is between 38-47°c.

At "silent" muy CPU fan is at 20% power and my cpu temp drops instantly to a steady 28-30°c. The fans are still relatively loud too, which is a little odd.

I've triple checked fan placement, and they're all facing the correct way to air is being drawn in from the front of my case through the radiator (of the Kraken X63) and then out through the rear and rear top fan cases (the fans that come with the case).

Does anyone have any idea what's going on please?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 AOI water cooler - fans are set up in the front of the case pulling air in
Case: NZXT H510 (with the 2 factory fit case fans - set up at rear and rear top of case pushing air out
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 570 ARMOR 8GB Graphics Card
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI Motherboard
RAM: Corsair Vengance 16GB x 2

Hope you can help, as I'm really confused.

Cj

If Silent and Balanced are Windows power plans then as said above youre not only changing fam speed but also power states.

In silent the cores will be parked at idle so temps will be lower.

Associate
OP
@Brizzles - thanks. Have downloaded HWInfo64.

Running Cinebench on "Balanced" from MSI Dragon Centre and "Performance" from NZXT CAM, with cinebench score of 3406:
  • Average: 52°c
  • Max: 69.1°c
Fans are loud and during cinebench test (predictably):
  • PUMP Fan 1 : Max: 1683RPM Average: 1475RPM
  • CPU: Max: 2749RPM Average: 2487RPM
  • System FAN 1 Max: 1286 Average: 1259RPM
  • System 2: Max 916 Average: 903
  • System 3: Max 815RPM Average: 835
  • GPU Fans: 0RPM throughout - never kicked in

On "silent" turned on through MSI Dragon Centre & NZXT CAM, cinebench score of 3297
  • Average: 52.5°c
  • PUMP Fan 1 : Max: 1689 RPM Average: 1435RPM
  • CPU: Max: 2749RPM Average: 2262 RPM
  • System FAN 1 Max:1289RPM Average: 1259RPM
  • System 2: Max: 915RPM Average: 902RPM
  • System 3: Max 865RPM Average: 840RPM

Last edited:
Man of Honour
@Brizzles - thanks. Have downloaded HWInfo64.

Running Cinebench on "Balanced" from MSI Dragon Centre and "Performance" from NZXT CAM, with cinebench score of 3406:
  • Average: 52°c
  • PUMP Fan 1 : Max: 1683RPM Average: 1475RPM
  • CPU: Max: 2749RPM Average: 2487RPM
  • System FAN 1 Max: 1286 Average: 1259RPM
  • System 2: Max 916 Average: 903
  • System 3: Max 815RPM Average: 835

On "silent" turned on through MSI Dragon Centre & NZXT CAM, cinebench score of 3297
  • Average: 52.5°c
  • PUMP Fan 1 : Max: 1689 RPM Average: 1435RPM
  • CPU: Max: 2749RPM Average: 2262 RPM
  • System FAN 1 Max:1289RPM Average: 1259RPM
  • System 2: Max: 915RPM Average: 902RPM
  • System 3: Max 865RPM Average: 840RPM

That's more like it, fan speed will account for very little, maybe a couple of degrees between low and high speeds - your results back this up.

Associate
I've found that the best way to monitor Ryzen temps is through Ryzen Master. For some reason NZXT CAM reports 10°c higher temps on my 3700x.

Associate
It looks like the setting you are changing isn't changing anything. Them temps and fan speeds look almost identical.

Its not the power plan in Windows you are changing like somebody else mentioned is it? Its just the fan profile you are changing to silent?

Back
Top Bottom