• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is my CPU hot at idle

Associate
Run an i7 5820K not clocked on a Gigabyte X99M motherboard. The cpu is water cooled using a Corsair H100gtx. The GPU is a 980ti which is also water cooled.

This is the flow of air in the case:

The CPU idle temp is about 49 deg C and the room temp is 23 deg C

Does this seem to be running a tad hot? I am sure it used to run at about 35 deg C in a smaller case with same cooling

I have recently reseated the CPU to see it that helped but no different.

The cooling pipes to the rad don't feel hot

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't have that particular CPU but I would say that is way hot for idle, I would check that the board isn't pumping to many volts to the CPU, I presume you've checked the cooler and what not

Associate
OP
The fans on the RHS are for the GPU cooler rad 2 x 140mm, Noctua

I can feel the rump running in the cooler

varkanold, you cpu in running 24-29, whats you room temp?

I have just run heaven and the cpu climbs to 65 deg C which does not seem high

Soldato
I would turn the fan's speed up. My 5930K idles is ~30C and I have the fans running slow. In summer, I increase the fan speed a bit and get the same temps. Full load temp is ~60C, that’s using handbrake so 100% load, temps will be less than 45C in a graphics benchmark. Also The DDR speed in high so you must be using the XMP profile, this is overclocking so might have upped the volts.

Last edited:
Soldato
According to your hardware monitor, the cpu isn't clocking down and running constantly at 3.7Ghz. This is why idle temps will be so high (I think). Make sure the Intel speedstep features are enabled in BIOS and also ensure you aren't running in High Performance mode in Windows.

Think it is usually referred to as EIST.

Soldato
According to your hardware monitor, the cpu isn't clocking down and running constantly at 3.7Ghz. This is why idle temps will be so high (I think). Make sure the Intel speedstep features are enabled in BIOS and also ensure you aren't running in High Performance mode in Windows.

My 4790k bounces all over 3.5 - 4 when idling, and mine sits between 29 - 31 normally, so not convinced that's the sole reason

Associate
OP

I reseated the CPU, I think there was too much on preventing the heat going to the heat sink.

Had a play with the BIOS and Power options

Cheers for the help

Soldato
Your CPU package was at 49C and this is usually significantly higher than the individual core temps, which are the important thing, and is nothing to worry about. In your first screenshot core #6 is at 39c which is fine given that you were running at full speed all the time.

Soldato
Using XMP profiles for the RAM can lock the CPU frequency and turn off the turbo/speedstep thing, it depends on the ratio. It’s should still idle cooler than 49C though. Give RealTemp a try to get the temps.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I thought I would resurect this thread.

Over the last year I knd of ended up ignoring this problem as I stopped playing games and it did not seem to be a problem.

Today I fitted a new GPU and while the PC was in bits thought I would have a spring clean. I decided to reseat the water block and see wht the temps were like.

50deg at idle! I then did a stress test and the cpu throttled back to 50% and the temp went up to 90deg!

At some point last year I water cooled my old GPU, a 980Ti and now I had the new 1080Ti so a spare AOI water cooler.

I decided to try this on the CPU and its now running at 22deg at idle and about 50deg stressed.

So it looks like my Corsair H100GTX is buggered :( Just as well I had a spare now

Associate
I take it from the arrows , you're taking cold air from outside and heating it up via gpu rad, then this hot air goes through cpu rad, why ?

Although this is not ideal, an idle 980Ti isn't pumping out much heat, so I don't see this being an issue. Still it would be better to have a very high power fan blowing in via rear "exhaust" vent and have both rads pushing air out. That would create a lot of negative air pressure in the case (also not terrific) but it's the best solution here.

I would suggest to save current bios config, then restore all defaults in bios, turn fans and pump up to max and keep them there (again via bios) and replace TIM on CPU block with something high quality such as Kryonaut paste (watch a youtube vid on how to clean old paste if u do not know how). If this solves the issue you know you had a pump/fan speed issue.. or the TIM was bad... or it was a bad block mount onto the CPU.

Also check your temps with HWMonitor and CoreTemp just to make sure your current readings are correct.

Also high five for using all Noctua fans. Brown. The colour of droppings. The colour of quality. Those PPC fans mean business.

Associate
OP
Although this is not ideal, an idle 980Ti isn't pumping out much heat, so I don't see this being an issue. Still it would be better to have a very high power fan blowing in via rear "exhaust" vent and have both rads pushing air out. That would create a lot of negative air pressure in the case (also not terrific) but it's the best solution here.

I would suggest to save current bios config, then restore all defaults in bios, turn fans and pump up to max and keep them there (again via bios) and replace TIM on CPU block with something high quality such as Kryonaut paste (watch a youtube vid on how to clean old paste if u do not know how). If this solves the issue you know you had a pump/fan speed issue.. or the TIM was bad... or it was a bad block mount onto the CPU.

Also check your temps with HWMonitor and CoreTemp just to make sure your current readings are correct.

Also high five for using all Noctua fans. Brown. The colour of droppings. The colour of quality. Those PPC fans mean business.
Not sure if you missed the paint that its fixed now?

Since the H100i was out of warranty is took it apart :) The block was full of crud, apparently a common problem. So I have cleaned it out, refilled it with a mix or water and anti freeze and will give it a test today.

On the subject of airflow lude did comment on it however never responded when I asked why :(

Your comment re airflow is interesting and may well give that a try, thanks

Back
Top Bottom