Migrating - Old Email Address

Soldato
My Uncle is moving from TalkTalk to BT.

Good move!

Unfortunately his Wife uses an old F2S email address. Free to Surf which is Talk Talk specific. This is her business email and she can't really lose the account.

Do you know if cancelling her Talk talk account will result in loss of this old email address? I am thinking so.

Caporegime
Most likely yes, but you will need to check with TalkTalk. Even if they are happy to keep the account alive I wouldn't feel comfortable with something that I couldn't afford to lose being in the hands of an ISP that I'm no longer a customer of.

It's inconvenient but take this as an opportunity to get a domain name and present a more professional image as far as email goes, once you have this in place you will have total freedom with how and who you deal with for the provision of email.

Office 365 Exchange Online Plan 1 is £2.60 a month and very capable.

Soldato
+1 for what Caged says.

Even if you ring up and a TT rep says the mailbox will be left alive, what happens if they change their mind in six months? They might decide to shutdown the entire F2S mail platform to save money at some point.

Get a domain name registered ASAP and start the transition to a mail provider which is independent of the ISP. I use the O365 Exchange Online for my own e-mail and it's <Ronseal> for the money.

Soldato
It won't result in loss of the email address, but as stated, they may choose to pull them at any stage in the future, which you have no control over.

I've had this conversation with my parents so many times (Tiscali email address), but will they listen?....

-Leezer-

Soldato
If it's a business/work email address then it should have "always" been on a dedicated platform where ideally you'd be paying and carrying some form of SLA.

A lot of complimentary email addresses are given "as is" so if the server goes down you have no way of complaining or claiming anything back form the down time.

Back
Top Bottom