Modded minecraft - Oculus quest

Associate
Hey all,

Has anyone got any experience of getting modded minecraft to work using the oculus quest and the link software? I'm weighing up VR options and ideally want a VR system that runs PC games, but the Rift S is likely to be canned on the back of the link release and I don't game enough to justify the Valve Index or similar.

Soldato
I've seen reports that Vivecraft (VR minecraft mod) is working fine with Oculus Link.

The Rift S is very unlikely to be canned. It is still a better PC VR experience than the Quest due to comfort, faster refresh rate, and a sharper display. It's also cheaper when you factor in the link cable and possible comfort mods for the Quest. Rift S is currently £350, which makes it cheaper than the Quest for a time.

Associate
OP
I've seen reports that Vivecraft (VR minecraft mod) is working fine with Oculus Link.

The Rift S is very unlikely to be canned. It is still a better PC VR experience than the Quest due to comfort, faster refresh rate, and a sharper display. It's also cheaper when you factor in the link cable and possible comfort mods for the Quest. Rift S is currently £350, which makes it cheaper than the Quest for a time.
Thanks for the reply. My thinking behind the rift S getting canned would be the duplication of products. I was thinking from a product management point of view why they would keep both lines running when they offer the same (allbeit slightly different refresh rates). I have been wrong in the past though :D

Soldato
Thanks for the reply. My thinking behind the rift S getting canned would be the duplication of products. I was thinking from a product management point of view why they would keep both lines running when they offer the same (allbeit slightly different refresh rates). I have been wrong in the past though :D

The Quest and Rift S are for two different markets, it's not a duplication of products. And there are more differences between the two headsets than just slightly different refresh rates.

I am not sure what your line of thinking of is, do you think Oculus are going to stop production of the Rift S right now? Do you think the Rift S is suddenly going to stop working if they do stop production? The Original Rift still works perfectly with all VR games even though it's canned headset.

So, my advice, spend less time making wrong predictions on products and spend more time learning about both headsets. ;)

My real advice is this, if you can at all, try both headsets before buying. With VR headsets how it fits is so important. Not just from a comfort point view. It affects the whole visual experience.

IF you can't try them on before buying then get the Rift S if your main use is VR gaming on the PC. If your main use is away from the PC, get the Quest.

Associate
OP
The Quest and Rift S are for two different markets, it's not a duplication of products. And there are more differences between the two headsets than just slightly different refresh rates.

I am not sure what your line of thinking of is, do you think Oculus are going to stop production of the Rift S right now? Do you think the Rift S is suddenly going to stop working if they do stop production? The Original Rift still works perfectly with all VR games even though it's canned headset.

So, my advice, spend less time making wrong predictions on products and spend more time learning about both headsets. ;)

My real advice is this, if you can at all, try both headsets before buying. With VR headsets how it fits is so important. Not just from a comfort point view. It affects the whole visual experience.

IF you can't try them on before buying then get the Rift S if your main use is VR gaming on the PC. If your main use is away from the PC, get the Quest.
To muddy the waters I tried my mates vive tonight (the original) and got terrible travel sickness playing DCS. Maybe after all it’s not for me! More likely I need more time with it. Thanks for your suggestions though.

Associate
For your first time in VR he should have let you play a static game where you move around yourself not be propelled by other stuff :)
The Blu is always a good start.

Soldato
To muddy the waters I tried my mates vive tonight (the original) and got terrible travel sickness playing DCS. Maybe after all it’s not for me! More likely I need more time with it. Thanks for your suggestions though.

There is no muddying the water, some people take a little while to get used to VR. DCS is definitely not for a new comer to VR. The other thing that might make it worse is that he might have settings turned up too high for his system. He has gotten used to it, but, for somebody that hasn't been in VR before, it brings on motion sickness nearly straight away.

Associate
OP
There is no muddying the water, some people take a little while to get used to VR. DCS is definitely not for a new comer to VR. The other thing that might make it worse is that he might have settings turned up too high for his system. He has gotten used to it, but, for somebody that hasn't been in VR before, it brings on motion sickness nearly straight away.

That’s a very interesting point regarding the settings. He’d never used DCS in VR before so I’ll feedback that he needs to look into it for me. :D I’ve got some upgrading of my own to do before I make the move as I’m on quite an old machine, but I’ll ask that question in the relevant forum.

Back
Top Bottom