Nest Hello wiring sanity check

Soldato
Installing a Nest Hello, but the house did not have an existing doorbell in place, so starting from scratch.

So from reading/watching install guides and wiring diagrams (it's quite a minefield!!). I've got the below theoretically drawn out:

rQTymC3.png

The Nest Hello says it requires an 12-24V AC 8AV transformer, of which the BG bell transformer is 8-24V AC 8AV.

Before i buy the bell transformer and door chime, anyone able to confirm if my wiring above would be fine?

TIA!

Soldato
I'd sack the Honeywell chime off and just wire a socket close and get a transformer from Amazon. Your phone and Google mini/hubs etc act as chimes

Ps that's how I have mine

Soldato
OP
I had contemplated getting just a plug-in transformer, but would make the install a little messy. At least with the above i could hide it away near the consumer unit.

Associate
Can't see any issue there. I used the BG transformer with an existing chime but basically the same. One benefit of having a chime is instant notification, and it will still work if you have Internet/Wifi issues. The notifications from the app or Google Mini can sometimes be delayed.

Permabanned
Installing a Nest Hello, but the house did not have an existing doorbell in place, so starting from scratch.

So from reading/watching install guides and wiring diagrams (it's quite a minefield!!). I've got the below theoretically drawn out:

rQTymC3.png

The Nest Hello says it requires an 12-24V AC 8AV transformer, of which the BG bell transformer is 8-24V AC 8AV.

Before i buy the bell transformer and door chime, anyone able to confirm if my wiring above would be fine?

TIA!

Did this wiring work?

Permabanned
Many thanks, I installed mine today using your diagram and it works a treat.... I found my chime was a bit too quiet on 12v so I used the 24v and 8v outputs from my transformer which should give 16v. I assume this is acceptable and won't break anything?

Associate
It did indeed, it's been running fine ever since.

The transformer and housing i picked up from Screwfix, and i think i got the chime box off Amazon.

Could you link the transformer and housing you went with? I'm away to install my one but the chime box I have has a built in transformer, not sure if that'll make it trickier on not, maybe just get the chime box to and copy your wiring, the nest pro wants £169.99 to do the install.

Did you just use the main power going to the chime box and put them into the transformer, then which wire did you use to go from the transformer to the chime box? Just 2 Core?

Had a quick look do these look about right

vZHLVIB.jpg

Just noticed few month old thread

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Could you link the transformer and housing you went with? I'm away to install my one but the chime box I have has a built in transformer, not sure if that'll make it trickier on not, maybe just get the chime box to and copy your wiring, the nest pro wants £169.99 to do the install.

Did you just use the main power going to the chime box and put them into the transformer, then which wire did you use to go from the transformer to the chime box? Just 2 Core?

Had a quick look do these look about right

<snip>

Just noticed few month old thread

They look similar to the ones i have.

It looks like Screwfix still sell the transformer: https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-8-24v-8va-bell-transformer-module/8707p?_requestid=724359

And the enclosure: https://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-ese2-ip40-2-module-unpopulated-din-enclosure/32311

Assuming the transformer gives out the correct voltages in your chime box, then that may work. But luckily enough the above transformer and enclosure are less than £13, so not a huge difference.

I think the chime box i bought from Amazon.

I used a 2 core wire going from the fused switch to the transformer. The wire from the transformer to the chime box was much thinner as it's only carrying 12 volts, but any 2 core wire should work fine.

£170! Oooof! I'm not an electrician, and would say i'm reasonably confident with basic DIY electrics, and this was very easy to do.

Permabanned
Yeah, very easy to install. I used speaker cable as Wickes had sold out of bell wire but as above the voltage is so small any 2 core cable will do. According to electrical regs you aren't supposed to have low voltage (thin core) cables entering the consumer unit but it isn't a big deal.

Associate
OK thats perfect ill give it a go, unfortunately my chime box transformer only puts out 8v, the electrician/nest pro said its the same everywhere in UK as google hello is American and they use more power. He must have been charging for the chime,transformer and the install but I didn't even ask for a breakdown.
Can pick up 50m of doorbell cable from screwfix for a few pounds.

Soldato
OP
OK thats perfect ill give it a go, unfortunately my chime box transformer only puts out 8v, the electrician/nest pro said its the same everywhere in UK as google hello is American and they use more power. He must have been charging for the chime,transformer and the install but I didn't even ask for a breakdown.
Can pick up 50m of doorbell cable from screwfix for a few pounds.

Well it just makes logical sense that to power the camera will require much more than a basic push-button doorbell.

Associate
The last of the things arrived today so after an hour or 2 hiding cables, mostly it's up and running fine.Thanks for the little diagram i followed that. I was a bit concerned as my bell cable was twisted pairs but i just twisted them together and treated them as 1.
@TheOracle I put it into 24v and it works fine.
gcPzD9Q.jpg
Certainly beats the sparky's £160 bill

Associate
Just been making some final touches it wasn't chiming sometimes, had a slack cable on the chime so sorted that then activated my nest aware trial with the face recognition be quite good to see! Took a while to figure out to set visitors announcements on so they show straight up. Just need a couple more hubs around the house now

Associate
On there app how much events are people getting?
I got 1159 yesterday, does that seem about the same? Mostly all 5 second videos of the wind, is it really that sensitive? only asking as I set it up on her iPhone for her and she's ended up with a notification every time:pwasn't best pleased yesterday haha.
3u9e8iU.jpg

Soldato
OP
On there app how much events are people getting?
I got 1159 yesterday, does that seem about the same? Mostly all 5 second videos of the wind, is it really that sensitive? only asking as I set it up on her iPhone for her and she's ended up with a notification every time:pwasn't best pleased yesterday haha.
3u9e8iU.jpg

In notifications you can switch off sound activity.

There's probably only a few cases where people can get sound detection to actually work accurately.

Back
Top Bottom