Overheating of CPU and GPU

Associate
Hello there,

I've bought this https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...zen-3000-series-gaming-pc-fs-1dn-og.html#t=b2 spec recently with AMD Ryzen 3600 and Zotac 1660 Super sitting in Kolink Inspire K3 Micro ATX case and yesterday I've run into a problem where my monitors would turn off with a pop-up saying Plug in cables, but I still could hear sounds from the game I've played. I had to turn off the PC and turn in back on. I assumed (maybe wrong) that it has to do with overheating of components, so I check it and while playing games the temperature of CPU is rising to 81 degrees and GPU to 83 degrees to the point where the glass on the case is getting hot.

Now, when I was ordering this PC I didn't think of that the case would be without any fans. So I've did some research on the case (perhaps should have done it before ordering :D) and there are 2 spots for fans. 1 in the rear for 92mm fan and 1 in the front for 120mm fan. Can you help me choose both of them or perhaps only 1 would be needed to keep the temperatures down.

Anyway, should I be worried of these temps for now?

Thanks for your time.

Soldato
I'd contact OCUK about it, as it sounds like there's a fault with the system somewhere. I don't think slapping in a couple of case fans will necessarily help, neither the 3600 or 1660 generate a lot of heat under normal circumstances.

Looking at that store page, I find it a bit concerning that OCUK don't specify the exact model of motherboard they use or give any information on the PSU used at all.

Soldato
the Temps are hot, for relatively cool run in parts, but given absolute lack of any intake and outage fans I would get them in place as a minimum. Case only supports a 120mm intake and 92mm outtake fan so would be your only options. I expect you will see a fairly decent drop in temps with the case being able to actively bring in cool air and exhaust hot air out the back with a pair of fans.

the glass getting warm would be expected as the heat is being expelled in the case and sounds like just building up in the case and going no where fast without the fans mentioned above helping to displace the air in the case.

Associate
OP
the Temps are hot, for relatively cool run in parts, but given absolute lack of any intake and outage fans I would get them in place as a minimum. Case only supports a 120mm intake and 92mm outtake fan so would be your only options. I expect you will see a fairly decent drop in temps with the case being able to actively bring in cool air and exhaust hot air out the back with a pair of fans.

the glass getting warm would be expected as the heat is being expelled in the case and sounds like just building up in the case and going no where fast without the fans mentioned above helping to displace the air in the case.

When idling temps are steady 35 degrees for both CPU and GPU, so I think as you said the problem would be that there's no air flow.
So, the B450M DS3H motherboard has 1 4-pin case fan connector. I assume to connect both fans I would need Y-Splitter, correct?
Does it matter which fans am I going to buy or is it personal preference?

Soldato
sounds like just building up in the case and going no where fast without the fans mentioned
The PSU goes at the top of the case, which will be what is being relied on to expell hot air.

Still, it seems odd they havent filled the fan spaces.

Edit: Anyway, just take the side cover off, and see if it still does it.

Soldato
While 81 and 83 degrees seems high, it isn't at a dangerous level which would be causing the problems you're describing.

While adding fans (OCUK should have done this as standard as far as I'm concerned, given the case doesn't have any) will help improve temps, which is a positive, I still fully believe that the issues you've described could be unrelated. I would talk to OCUK about it, regardless of why it's happening it could be argued that they've sold you a machine that isn't functioning as intended. As for the B450M DS3H, it is one of the weaker B450's on the market and it's unfortunate that they're using them in their prebuilds.

Soldato
When idling temps are steady 35 degrees for both CPU and GPU, so I think as you said the problem would be that there's no air flow.
So, the B450M DS3H motherboard has 1 4-pin case fan connector. I assume to connect both fans I would need Y-Splitter, correct?
Does it matter which fans am I going to buy or is it personal preference?
If case isn't flowing cool air to components and coolers things will overheat.
Yes! What fans are used makes a huge differeence in airflow. You might find below link to basic guide to case airflow and how to optimize it helpful in understanding case airflow setting yours up.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Associate
OP
The PSU goes at the top of the case, which will be what is being relied on to expell hot air.

Ok, so I removed the glass from the case and played the same game I did when reaching those temps and now the CPU temp is between 53-55 degrees and the GPU temp is between 70-73.

Soldato
And easy to test, by simply taking the side panel off.

It sounds more driver related to me, worth checking the gpu cables are firmly in sockets etc too though.

Yup.

Hopefully it's an easy/quick fix for him, really disappointed in OCUK for shipping a build with no case fans though.

Soldato
Ok, so I removed the glass from the case and played the same game I did when reaching those temps and now the CPU temp is between 53-55 degrees and the GPU temp is between 70-73.
Aye, the temps will go down, but is the monitor still dropping out?

Edit: I guess there is a chance that with all the heat going through the PSU, the PSU might be overheating? But I would expect the PC to shut down with thermal protection, rather than just stop suppling the gpu with power.

Also, that is a rather large temp drop, those temps are much more normal when playing a game, the temps with side panel on are more like full load cpu and full load gpu. It would probably expload if you ran a heavy cpu stress test at the same time as a heavy gpu stress test! :p

Last edited:
Soldato
From what he is saying it sounds like its not really overheating though, and the psu at the top of the case will be creating a flow.
It may not be all a cooling problem. Thing is case needs to be flowing more air than component cooler fans are using. If not componet coolers have to make up the difference by using heated that has already been used once, then twice, 3 times getting hotter and hotter. PSU fan won't flow even enough for just CPU or GPU alone, and definitely not enough for both, plus being in top it is pulling heated air from GPU air across CPU cooler heating up the air it is using. Obviously his case is not flowing air properly, even if overheating isn't the issue. As well as higher temps often result is premature failure of components. ;)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Aye, the temps will go down, but is the monitor still dropping out?

No, it's fine for now. I mean the GTX 1660 super only have 1 HDMI port so I'm using converter to connect my second monitor, perhaps it's getting faulty but that wouldn't explain why both of monitors would drop off.

Thinking of that I'm not sure now if both of them had a pop-up saying to connect the cables or was it only the one connected through converter.

Anyway, I'm going to get those 2 case fans and a new converter just in case.

Soldato

A PSU is only going to help so much in expelling air, more so when its pulling low power. Lack of fan's is the issue and when he takes the side panel off as mentioned temp drops significantly. Its also no coincidence the GPU was pegged at 83 degrees which is the BIOS level profile on NVIDA GPU's to start reducing clock speed significantly to stay at those temperatures.

He is seeing 70 degrees on GPU alone with cool air getting to the parts which in itself is also meaning performance is better as its able to sustain higher clock speed. At 83 degrees he has before it was throttling itself, if it was not doing that, delta would be higher then even 13 degrees.

If he is not getting issues that no reason not to add a fan's, if only to keep fresh air coming in and seeing lower temps / higher sustained boost.

Soldato
I know, I was just pointing out that at least there is some air flow from the psu.

Edit: It's a crappy design overall, but you can see why the psu is at the top of these silly cases for extra exhaustness.

Last edited:
Soldato
1 in the rear for 92mm fan and 1 in the front for 120mm fan. Can you help me choose both of them or perhaps only 1 would be needed to keep the temperatures down.

Take a look at the motherboard and spy out the available fan headers. Are they 3 pin or 4 pin?

Three pin:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £39.56 (includes shipping: £4.66)​

Four pin:

Total: £26.46 (includes shipping: £3.48)​

That said, you might like to bite the bullet and get a case that is far better for cooling:

Total: £187.03 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Soldato
Wait, the system was shipped without fans, in an MITX case?

Surely thats not fit for purpose.

Were they not fitted and are missing or is this a specific custom build and weren't requested?

Man of Honour
Basically the case is crap and is a design from 15 years or so ago. A single 120mm intake and only a single 92mm exhaust is a joke now and not populating these fan positions is unforgiveable. Using the psu as a exhaust is just making things worse. As that pc seems to use the cheapest of everything I bet the psu is a crappy Kolink Core or KL series which isn't going to appreciate trying to cool itself with hot air. I wouldn't be surprised if the psu was the cause of the problem hence the "please connect cables" message.

Associate
Most cases do not come with fans it gives the builder a choice of fans they want to use. I have an Ophion MITX case, it didnt come with any fans, I Opted for 2 120mm Exhaust fans and a 120mm inlet.

Back
Top Bottom