Plasma image retention

Soldato
Just noticed that my 3 year old plasma's got the sky sports logo burned into the top right. Not sure how long it's been there but it's one of them things where once seen cannot be unseen.

Bit gutted at the moment as it was one of the last top plasma's before they killed the range. Only positive is that I mainly watch films so I'd don't notice it as the black bars hide it.

Long shot, any one manager to claim of sky for this?

Also it's under the 5 year warrantee, would this cover image retention? Supose my problem would be if it is I've no chance of another plasma :(

Going to try one of them screen wipes tomorrow see if it helps

Last edited:
Soldato
why is it sky's fault?

no you cant wipe screenburn off.

not sure how you managed to get screen burn on a later model plasma, that's not an especially easy thing to do. It must have been on that channel for long periods at a time. Regardless though, you'd have to prove that the screenburn wasnt a result of you leaving on sky sports endlessly. Good luck with that i guess.

Associate
Some say leave a snowy screen on over night. This can help remove some if not all of the problem, use the analogue tuner and see what happens , never tried it my self but you never know.

Soldato
If it's one of the Panasonics then don't they have a program in the settings that you run for a while to (possibly) get rid of image retention?

I've got the TX-P42GT50 and I'm pretty sure that does.

Soldato
OP
Its the TX-P42GT60B, found the image retention mode thanks, will give that a run see what happens but I feel the damage might already be done :( Only positive is its in a place that's often black so might be able to live with it.

Soldato
If it's one of the Panasonics then don't they have a program in the settings that you run for a while to (possibly) get rid of image retention?

I've got the TX-P42GT50 and I'm pretty sure that does.

Its the TX-P42GT60B, found the image retention mode thanks, will give that a run see what happens but I feel the damage might already be done :( Only positive is its in a place that's often black so might be able to live with it.

Try the plasma IR removal dvd disk, I believe you can download it for free.

I've found with stubborn image retention the built in scrolling bar just doesn't quite cut it.

Soldato
That's the one!

Let that run for few hours, you may have to try the other modes for better results, depending on the size of the IR.

I tend to use the lower speed and bigger block mode

Soldato
Plasma burn. Why the technology failed, well one reason. Every plasma I ever saw got screen burn of some kind, and it's not unique to them. Oled screens suffer the same (not as prominent). Our LG plasma we try not to use too often (we like the vivid option but it's a bugger for screen burn)

Soldato
Plasma burn. Why the technology failed, well one reason. Every plasma I ever saw got screen burn of some kind, and it's not unique to them. Oled screens suffer the same (not as prominent). Our LG plasma we try not to use too often (we like the vivid option but it's a bugger for screen burn)

OLEDs don't suffer screen burn, they suffer a little IR which is wiped away when the TV does a compensation cycle when switched off

Soldato
I think it's too early to say whether oled tvs will suffer with screen burn or not. I mean, oleds have been around for years on mobiles yet every oled phone i have owned has ended it's life with permanent damage. The technology is far from immune from it.

Soldato
I think it's too early to say whether oled tvs will suffer with screen burn or not. I mean, oleds have been around for years on mobiles yet every oled phone i have owned has ended it's life with permanent damage. The technology is far from immune from it.

The phones with OLED screens don't do a compensation cycle to account for the voltage drift and uneven ageing that the TV screens do after every 4 hours.

Soldato

Plasma screen burn was something that was probably an issue like 10 years ago, it was never an issue with the more recent panels, IR was.

Soldato
Use a plasma long enough, you'll get image burn/retention. And same with oled, well on oled phones anyway. Can't say about oled tvs as much.

Caporegime
OLED TVs can have image retention for 10 mins that slowly fades (though I've had my LG B6 OLED for a week and not seen it happening)

They don't have burn in.

I also owned plama TVs from 2003 to now and I never personally experienced it. I still have a VT50 in the bedroom which I've had for 4 years and that TV doesn't have any burn in yet.

Probably people who use vivid mode and leave it on channels with logos for hours on end.

Last edited:
Soldato
oled are not impervious to permanent damage. people say LCD don't suffer with screen burn yet ive seen it first hand, and the very fact that oled TVs have to run comp. cycles should tell you the tech isnt bullet proof. Yes comp does help and yes phones don't have comp, but its compensation, not protection, and its not perfect.

Time will tell how much of an issue this really becomes and if you think i'm making a big deal over nothing then no, that's not the point - i'm simply saying that stating oleds dont suffer with burn is wrong.

Soldato
one of my pet peeves, those stupid channel logos or press red.

not really had any permanent burn in on my 10 year old pioneer, it fades away after a few hours.

Associate
I can't understand why after all these years of people having this issue with Plasma displays Sky still hasn't done something so simple as to have the logo slowly move a few pixels every few minutes.

V F

V F

Soldato
oled are not impervious to permanent damage. people say LCD don't suffer with screen burn yet ive seen it first hand, and the very fact that oled TVs have to run comp. cycles should tell you the tech isnt bullet proof. Yes comp does help and yes phones don't have comp, but its compensation, not protection, and its not perfect.

Time will tell how much of an issue this really becomes and if you think i'm making a big deal over nothing then no, that's not the point - i'm simply saying that stating oleds dont suffer with burn is wrong.

Too many people like to leave these kind of sets on shopping channels or news channels with a lot of graphics.

The BBC News and Sky News can be bad for all this white just like QVC. I remember reading one person with their 65" VT60. It had the white QVC banners burnt into the screen between the wife and cleaner having it on while he was abroad for a week on business.
Think he nearly got rid of it but it took a few months and there were still traces.

Same stories for some Americans from Nascar, ESPN banners to NBC Sports all due to girlfriends/wives and housekeepers leaving the sets on these channels for hours.
One housekeeper accidentally left his 65" ZT on some NFL sports channel for days when they left. You can imagine the outcome.

Back
Top Bottom