• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Resealing Delid CPU

Soldato
Hi guys, what do you all use to reseal the 8700k? once you've delided? I'm trying to make it asclose to stock as possible :D ;) maybe warranty worth if it goes :D

Associate
Hi Face

Just buy any (the cheapest) high temp RTV from the rain forest. You will only need a very small amount.

Also, get some clear nail varnish (I used clear coat paint) as there are 4 small contacts you will want to cover - assuming you are going liquid metal.

Soldato
OP
Hi Face

Just buy any (the cheapest) high temp RTV from the rain forest. You will only need a very small amount.

Also, get some clear nail varnish (I used clear coat paint) as there are 4 small contacts you will want to cover - assuming you are going liquid metal.

I was going to use Noctua non conductive thermal paste, not sure if this is any good? should i go Liquid metal? Tempted, thanks for highlighting this

Soldato
+1 for RTV silicon, used it on all CPUs I've delidded and works perfect. All you need is a tiny bit, so a cheap £3 tube goes a long way.

Soldato
OP
Glad you've gone that way. Buy a small tube as just like the RTV, a small bit goes a long way.

Just a word to the wise, practice the application before you do the real thing. More squirts out than you would think.

thanks,

is there a big difference between thermal grizzly and liquid metal

Associate
thanks,

is there a big difference between thermal grizzly and liquid metal

Depending on the application, I saw 20" with LM. I've not tried a 'normal' paste under there though. My thought is, if you are taking the lid off why not stick LM under there. If applied correctly, it will not run - which was my biggest concern prior to doing it.

The nail varnish on the 4 little contact pads is just belts and braces in my mind.

Soldato
Not much point delidding if you're going to put regular thermal paste in there IMO. You're risking your warranty, might as well get the most out of the process.

I used JB weld on a G3258, both on the small surface components and to seal the IHS back in place. Maybe slightly OTT but it definitely works :)
Bloody hell! That's not coming off then is it.

Soldato
MAYBE SLIGHTLY OTT? Dude, that's bloomin' mental. I love it.

I'd love to see a direct comparison now between Conductonaut and JB Weld under the IHS :p

It really is great stuff :D I wasn’t brave enough to try painting the core with it, but as you said it’s so mad, it seems like a worthy experiment lol. JB weld mixed with copper filings. Slaver that all over the core, fire the IHS back on, bingo - two jobs done for the price of one :)

Back
Top Bottom