Steam VR performance problem in Virtual Desktop on Oculus Quest

Associate
I'm still fairly new to VR so I'm hoping this is something that you vets have seen before. I mostly play driving games via the Oculus link, but the only SteamVR game I play is Alyx, which I've been playing using Virtual Desktop. I recently swapped my 980ti for a 5700XT

Initially all was fine, but I didn't play for a week or so, and now when I've come back, it's just unplayable. It's not the game itself, it's SteamVR, just in SteamVR Home it's horrible, choppy and jerky. The SteamVR performance thing looks like this, constant drops:

EfrvVoc.png

I'm on the latest AMD drivers
The system is a 3700x on an x570 with 16GB Ram
Virtual desktop is up-to-date (1.13.6) and the virtual streamer on the PC shows the same version
I'm connected to 5ghz on my Ubiquiti Access point which is about 4 metres away. I get a rock solid 400Mbs, which is what I was getting previously when things were good.

qTgKc6U.jpg

Outside of SteamVR all runs perfectly
I have had things working well with the 5700XT, so I know it should work, however this is the first time I've tried playing using the most current drivers (20.5.1) so this is currently what I'm suspecting as the cause.

I've read that having Oculus stuff running alongside SteamVR can cause issues so I've tried stopping all Oculus background processes/services and no change.

Anyone have/had similar problems?

*edited to add screenshot of VD

Last edited:
Associate
OP
:D Give it a go probably your best place to get anything solved quickly.

If it comes to it, perhaps I will. I've only just got over the loss of MSN Messenger so it's a bit of a jump :)

I was having some issues with Steam VR last week so I reinstalled it. Have you tried that?

Have you tried steam VR when wired in?

Good suggestions, I've tried neither, but will do right now :) Thanks

Associate
OP
OK reinstall - no dice, same as before

Wired in - it's working a treat, smooth as butter.

So I guess that rules out drivers and general system stuff, leaving me with Virtual Desktop and the connection as the only two potential problems. Given that the connection is perfect elsewhere and I've also tried connecting up to a spare access point I normally use for the garden, and the problem's still there, it does look like a Virtual Desktop issue.

Before I go onto Discord, I assume I have to pull my trousers halfway down my arse so my underpants are fully on show? Think that's the way these kids roll, right?

Soldato
OK reinstall - no dice, same as before

Wired in - it's working a treat, smooth as butter.

So I guess that rules out drivers and general system stuff, leaving me with Virtual Desktop and the connection as the only two potential problems. Given that the connection is perfect elsewhere and I've also tried connecting up to a spare access point I normally use for the garden, and the problem's still there, it does look like a Virtual Desktop issue.

Before I go onto Discord, I assume I have to pull my trousers halfway down my arse so my underpants are fully on show? Think that's the way these kids roll, right?
nah, its quite a civil place. Only a few channels and don't forget to check the pinned articles (pushpin icon top right)

Associate
OP
nah, its quite a civil place. Only a few channels and don't forget to check the pinned articles (pushpin icon top right)

I'm in

*edit* and we're sorted. Clearly a driver issue, obvious really I guess but rolling AMD drivers back to 20.4.2 has sorted it.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom