Virgin media compatible cable router

Soldato
Hi guys
Hope everyone is keeping well!

Can anyone recommend a fast ax router or router/modem to replace the standard virgin hub 3,

I'm needing coverage and speed as I'm using ax wifi laptops one for gaming and one for work

Cost is not an issue but would prefer an easy setup rather than all the faff lol

Cheers

Soldato
OP
Hi guys
Hope everyone is keeping well!

Can anyone recommend a fast ax router or router/modem to replace the standard virgin hub 3,

I'm needing coverage and speed as I'm using ax wifi laptops one for gaming and one for work

Cost is not an issue but would prefer an easy setup rather than all the faff lol

Cheers

Associate
I don't think you can replace it, but you used to be able to put them into modem mode and use your own router/wifi ap.
I just left it as it was and had one Ethernet cable coming out to the rest of my network switches and gear.

Soldato
OP
I don't think you can replace it, but you used to be able to put them into modem mode and use your own router/wifi ap.
I just left it as it was and had one Ethernet cable coming out to the rest of my network switches and gear.
Cheers you are correct about having to use the modem mode to router its been years since I had virgin cable broadband as been stuck with Sky

Soldato
I’ve heard good things about the Asus RT-AX88U router, think it’s about £299.

Review on rainforest I read shared a screenshot on 500Mb VM and he was on full speeds. Then updated his post to say he’d moved house and got Hyperoptic 1Gb and was getting near Max 1Gb speeds on AX.

Soldato
I’d be amazed if you can buy an AX router that can’t NAT at gigabit, it’s a given at this stage.

If you just want faster WiFi, why aren’t you looking at an AP? Nothing in your post suggests you want or need another AIO device. Also please don’t buy into ASUS marketing, £299 can buy you actual networking products from companies with proven track records in manufacture/design that aren’t well known to fail with the same basic fault over multiple hardware generations, patching known driver/security flaws in a reasonable timescale (eg not years) and who don’t fake certification data... or in other words, not ASUS.

Soldato
The alternative was a full blown UniFi setup, but WiFi 6 APs are only early access in the USA currently... also probably not OP’s idea of easy setup rather than faff. :D

But yes I agree in an ideal world get better grade equipment... but it’s not usually ever easy. Let alone if you want a WiFi 6 product and ecosystem.

Asus’ home network stuff does work for a lot of people and meet requirements. Might not be our cup of tea, but I’m sure there are other kits out there...

Associate
I chain of the back of the superhub, putting the superhub in modem mode and use a NG Orbi TBK852 AX6000 series.

great speeds all round but there not cheap!

Back
Top Bottom