• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Warning AMD Ryzen Users Microsoft Installing Update Automatically That Bricks Your PC

Soldato
If you have AMD Ryzen and click check for updates today then Microsoft automatically installs the AMD SCSI Adapter 9.3.0.221 driver which renders your system unbootable: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/n6synx/driver_from_microsoft_via_windows_updates/

This happened to me today and I got a blue screen with inaccessible boot device after this driver was installed. My Gigabyte motherboard got confused as a result and restored the old version F4 from the backup BIOS deleting all my profiles and settings, so I'm not best pleased. A startup repair fixes the issue.

I have a Gigabyte X570 Master, whether it's a Gigabyte thing I don't know.

G J

G J

Associate
Thanks, wont effect me as I'm still on Windows 7 seems the best to stay on it the amount of screwups Windows 10 updates do. :p

Soldato
I've got a Ryzen 5 2600 system running Windows 10 Pro and I didn't receive that update today. All I've got is one optional quality update "2021-04 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5001391)" which I haven't installed yet.

Man of Honour
At some point and/or for some users it will be installed automatically in the background unless/until it gets pulled and even then MS has a habit of re-issuing the same broken or "fixed" but broken in other ways update later.

Can't believe there are still people who defend the approach to updates in 10.

EDIT: Unless MS has changed it recently you can't stop Windows 10 doing driver updates via the advanced option - people keep saying it does but all that does is change how much additional software is installed with a driver update.

Soldato
At some point and/or for some users it will be installed automatically in the background unless/until it gets pulled and even then MS has a habit of re-issuing the same broken or "fixed" but broken in other ways update later.

EDIT: Unless MS has changed it recently you can't stop Windows 10 doing driver updates via the advanced option - people keep saying it does but all that does is change how much additional software is installed with a driver update.

I have the no option set and I dont get any driver updates this has been since I did a fresh install of 1909 too. I know if I set it to yes it gives me the nvidia driver. Also did this in 1709 cant remember earlier but I have always set the option to No and dont get any drivers.

Man of Honour
I have the no option set and I dont get any driver updates this has been since I did a fresh install of 1909 too. I know if I set it to yes it gives me the nvidia driver. Also did this in 1709 cant remember earlier but I have always set the option to No and dont get any drivers.

For some reason awhile back after they changed it, it would still continue with the old behaviour until you touched the setting so the original registry option must still be functional - I've not looked into it again recently but for awhile even with it set to no it would still install drivers if MS deemed them an important update.

Soldato
For some reason awhile back after they changed it, it would still continue with the old behaviour until you touched the setting so the original registry option must still be functional - I've not looked into it again recently but for awhile even with it set to no it would still install drivers if MS deemed them an important update.

Yeah I remember it didnt happen to me because it only affected people who did a fresh install and I always upgraded until I did a fresh install. (think I went from first Win 10 version upto 1909 without a fresh install :) ) Also read about the registry change at that point too you could do. I shall see later when I go on my computer. Maybe it is just a Gigabyte thing.

Man of Honour
Yeah I remember it didnt happen to me because it only affected people who did a fresh install and I always upgraded until I did a fresh install. (think I went from first Win 10 version upto 1909 without a fresh install :) ) Also read about the registry change at that point too you could do. I shall see later when I go on my computer. Maybe it is just a Gigabyte thing.

TBH no rhyme or reason with its behaviour - I've several systems on 10 and they all act a bit differently - even the 2 GPD Pockets I have which I frequently clone so they have the same settings/files.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the warning, I have a GB X570. I’ll be vigilant now.
Yes, don't click 'check for updates', that was my undoing. I finally realised that my Gigabyte board got stuck in the backup BIOS, fiddling with the switches on my X570 Master allowed me to force it to boot from the main BIOS again (I'm not sure that the less high end Gigabyte boards have these switches in which case you'd be stuck using the backup BIOS forever), but I still needed to clear the CMOS as my board was giving F9 and 0d errors when starting from cold.

Gigabyte's automated recovery procedure from an inaccessible boot device is extremely overzealous but I think I've sorted it out now.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

They used to put certain drivers under optional updates, but for the first time a few weeks ago I noticed Microsoft had started force installing said supposed optional driver updates (one was a newer PSP driver than the one in the latest AMD chipset drivers and the other was some weird AMD driver thing that I've never seen before that has now got a PCI bus entry in Device Manager). I hope they reconsider this utterly stupid policy and go back to how they were doing it before, particularly if they are not testing them (it's clear that they are not).

With this AMD SCSI device they didn't even bother to put it under optional updates, it was just installed automatically after clicking 'check for updates'.

Associate
For the hell of it I checked update and it was there for me. I went ahead and, sure enough, I had a blue screen on reboot with the inaccessible boot device error.

Startup repair did not work in my case and the only way I could recover windows was to restore from a restore point. Luckily the last restore point was only 2 days ago and I haven't really lost anything.

Soldato
OP
For the hell of it I checked update and it was there for me. I went ahead and, sure enough, I had a blue screen on reboot with the inaccessible boot device error.

Startup repair did not work in my case and the only way I could recover windows was to restore from a restore point. Luckily the last restore point was only 2 days ago and I haven't really lost anything.
That's good, but I'm surprised Microsoft haven't pulled the update given how severe the problems are. Also, good your board didn't have a fit like mine, sorting out all the Dual BIOS problems was not fun. It's strange that Startup Repair worked and removed the driver for me.

Associate
That's good, but I'm surprised Microsoft haven't pulled the update. Also, good your board didn't have a fit like mine.

Well, it did really as the BIOS was reset several times while I was trying to get it back to life. The main difference is that I only have a single BIOS so it was probably easier for me to resolve.

Soldato
OP
Well, it did really as the BIOS was reset several times while I was trying to get it back to life. The main difference is that I only have a single BIOS so it was probably easier for me to resolve.
Oh good, yes the dual BIOS was the problem. I didn't realise the Elite had single BIOS. This is a case where dual BIOS is very much a hindrance rather than a help, if I didn't have those switches I'd be screwed.

Soldato

I don't think I have ever had a driver update in win updates, they've always come under the bracket of optional, and you have to actively click them, but I have an MSI MB.

Back
Top Bottom