• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When delidding what do you stick it back on with?

Man of Honour
Sticking it back on saves a lot of hassle when rebuilding/upgrading the pc. Once it's been delidded and liquid metal applied it shouldn't need doing again so no reason to need the IHS off again. I use some black liquid gasket on mine. This is the liquid gasket that I used but I already had that size from doing the sump gasket on my car's engine. This size would be more suitable for doing cpu's and a lot cheaper too.

Soldato
I used that smaller granville black silicone that pastymuncher linked to as it was available from my local halfords and everything seems fine.

Soldato
I didn't on my i5 as the clamp kept it in place which had the advantage of letting me check the Liquid Metal after 5 years use. It was still good as new by the way and I was able to re-spread it back to a mirror finish before for selling on Ebay.

Any silicon mastic type of sealer should do and the temps it'll see won't need high temp. I use high temp on my exhaust manifold gaskets!

Permabanned
Probably 60-80c in that area and what the maker of the Delid tool says to use or Superglue Gel but does warn some peeps CPU's later came loose (I guess due to heat) damaged the CPU talking some PCB with it.

Also watch you do not apply too much making it near as bad as the Intel glue raising the IHS of Die and your choice of TIM.

Soldato
Probably 60-80c in that area and what the maker of the Delid tool says to use or Superglue Gel but does warn some peeps CPU's later came loose (I guess due to heat) damaged the CPU talking some PCB with it.

Also watch you do not apply too much making it near as bad as the Intel glue raising the IHS of Die and your choice of TIM.

The Gel superglue is the recommended one. Non-gel was not.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/119374257/rockit-88-intel-cpu-delid-tool/posts/1568635/comments

Permabanned
I was going by der8auer who makes the Delid-Die-Mate 2 "Rolls Royce" model and one I would use/trust to Delid my CPU.

Soldato
There’s no need to glue it back (the clamp is enough) but JB weld or any non conductive epoxy resin will do it. I used JB Weld on a G3258 for both insulating the tiny little capacitors on the PCB and sealing the IHS back in place.

Soldato
No need to stick it back on with anything. The socket is good enough.

In static use I'd agree but when you remove the cooler for whatever reason there can be a tug of war between cooler->IHS and IHS->chip, whichever it holds onto better with no adhesive will take the IHS with it.

Back
Top Bottom