• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would changing a q6600 or amd equivalent be stupid?

Soldato
i haven’t done anything with my quad system yet, but got a better paying job now so I can start.

Other than a better fitting gpu(ie one with a bracket lol) I am happy with how my Lenovo is so rather keep it as my main and general computer, so as a second computer I have decided I will dedicate it to gaming for old games and the odd new games(not exactly ones I can get on xb1) and to finish my quad I need a non broken cpu cooler, more ram and a dx11 gpu of some kind oh and probably a new case as the atx size isn’t in the way, but it’s mesh brand and ugly, so unless I got working spare ran, that’s going to be nearly £50 if not more without case change...

But for £65 I have seen some sort of atx case with the following inside..

Athlon x2 240
8gb ram(max for board)
Asus M4a78vm
250gb hdd
1gb hd7750
Some black label no special psu (cut from pic)

Being an m-atx I could finally put my icute cube case to use rather than sell it and this atx case should be nicer to build my quad in to for resale, obviously getting the amd I would aim for triple or quad core, but would this be a stupid move? I would still need a gpu to mate with the q6600 to sell it on with appeal.

I work 2pm till 10pm, so my Xbox gaming is down to couple hours a day and my pc use is lower, but I got the itch to upgrade and will be able to afford more better this time, just don’t want to waste money on the ryzen stuff I wanted originally due to change in uses like.

Soldato
For reference the Q6600 will be approximately twice as powerful as the Athlon.

Personally I would keep an eye out for some early i3/i5 stuff. Much more modern hardware and still pretty cheap. Stuff like the i5 2500k is still widely used today, will overclock well and run most things reasonably well.

I wouldn't bother with the computer you have seen, it's very old, runs DDR2 memory. GPU isn't up to much and PSU probably isn't worth a toss.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for reply.

My 775 system is ddr2 also so that wasn’t a bother, the Athlon wasn’t a bother either as I hadn’t intended to keep it long, I figured it be a good base with it supporting quads, already ram maxed at 8gb and being smaller than my intel board I could use a smaller case, the 7750 is better then my gt 610, the psu wasn’t a bother either as I have a quality gold rated seasonic 550w which would’ve used so was just a swap around.

However I have just ordered a DisplayPort to hdmi cable to use with my haswell graphics so I will be putting my gt 610 in the 775 system so I can actually use it, so I will probably now skip that amd system and just get what I have running then decide from there.

Associate
Your Q6600 is a quad core. A smaller case could limit the graphics cards that can fit inside the case. This could be an issue further down the line when you upgrade your graphics card in the future. If you want an upgrade at the moment, upgrade your graphics card. I recently picked up a 7770 for around £40. It's a big card though, if you pick something like that, make sure it fits in your case :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply, but I’m dropping the q6600 now, the cube case I have would’ve fitted a decent sign gpu, but I recently purchased a 1155 bundle which while has a G2020 in it is on a m-atx board which I’ve alraady setup in my cube, so going back down that route again but with more push for a quad seeing as I have a G processor unlike my last 1155 being an i3.

Back
Top Bottom